February 01, 2010

Crustless Quiche: Ham, Caramelized Onion and Roasted Cherry Tomato

In another Leftovers Week adventure, I decided to make a quiche today. I chose to make a crustless quiche mostly because I'm too impatient to make a pie crust myself, and because I'm too snowed in to go buy a pie crust at the store.

I used Food Network's Crustless Quiche Master Recipe as a basis for this adventure, but I changed some of the ingredients based on what I had in the house (and because the thought of 2 cups of half-n-half made me feel all heart attack-y).

Ham, Caramelized Onion and Roasted Tomato Crustless Quiche
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 cups 2% milk
  • 1 tbsp. sea salt
  • 2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 1/2 cups roasted cherry tomatoes
  • 1 cup caramelized onions
  • 1/2 cup shredded Black Forest ham
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp. butter
  • 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small pan, sprinkle cherry tomatoes with half of the sea salt, pepper, and olive oil. Roast the tomatoes for 12-15 minutes, until the skins shrivel and the tomatoes collapse a bit.



2. While the tomatoes are roasting, sauté the onions with the rest of the olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until they're brown and kind of slimy (don't be afraid...they taste so good).


3. Butter a 9-inch pie dish and sprinkle it with Parmesan. Place half of the tomatoes, onions, and ham in the dish, and then sprinkle with half the cheese. Add the rest of the mixture, and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.


4. Beat the eggs, yolks, milk, salt, pepper, and paprika together in a small mixing bowl, and then pour the mixture over the filling ingredients (slowly!).




5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes, or until the quiche starts to thicken up (test by inserting a knife in the quiche). Allow the quiche to cool completely before serving.





This crustless quiche is a creamy, savory joy to eat. Trust me; my roommate and I have nearly killed it, and it's only been about two and a half hours since it came out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment