April 28, 2010

Mark Bittman's Artichokes in White Wine and Lemon Sauce

I have to tell you that I made the best artichokes ever last night...and the night before. That's right; I made them once, and they were so good that I went out, bought more artichokes, and made the same recipe again last night. Addictive personality...check.

Because I'm obsessed with him, I used Mark Bittman's recipe for Artichokes in White Wine and Lemon Sauce from his Best Recipes in the World cookbook. It couldn't be easier, and the sauce is so good that I may or may not have eaten all of it with a spoon after I finished the artichokes.

Bittman's recipe calls for 1 cup of water, 1 cup of dry white wine, 1/4 olive oil, the juice of one lemon, 3 or 4 lightly crushed cloves of garlic, and salt and pepper to taste (in addition, of course, to the 3 or 4 artichokes). You bring the components of the sauce to a boil in a large pot, then add the artichokes and cook over medium-low heat for about 45 minutes.

Once the artichokes are done, set them aside to cool and turn the heat to high for about five minutes or until the sauce reduces. The best part about this is that the garlic will caramelize as you turn the heat up, and then you can eat it with a spoon and have it be the best thing you've ever eaten, and then breathe garlic all over anyone.

For most people, of course, this would be a side dish. But I treated the three artichokes as dinner, because on weeknights after lacrosse practice I'm far too lazy to cook more than one dish. Either way, this recipe is fantastic, and it's probably the easiest French recipe I've ever attempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment