April 26, 2010

Summer is Coming: Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

I'm an impulse shopper. Too often, I go into a grocery store, list in hand, and leave with ten extra items that have nothing to do with one another, or with the dishes I had planned to make.


Yesterday, for example, I found half flats (6 baskets) of strawberries on sale at Whole Foods yesterday for only $7.99. So I did what I always do: buy something that sounds good even if I have no idea what to do with it. I snagged three stalks of rhubarb, too, thinking I'd use some of the strawberries with rhubarb to make something yummy.

Once I got home, I set the strawberries on the kitchen counter and tried to make myself do some school work. I made it about a half hour before the smell of strawberries got to me, and I decided to make a strawberry rhubarb sauce. Did I know what I was going to eat it with? No.

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced thin
  • 3 rhubarb stalks, peeled and sliced thin
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup water
1. In a medium pan over medium heat, combine the water and honey, stirring occasionally until the honey dissolves. Add the rhubarb, and sauté about 5 minutes, or until soft and tender.




2. Unless prep work is your thing, wash, hull, and slice the strawberries.






3. Add the strawberries to the mixture and continue to cook until the strawberries give up their liquid and become tender.





4. Puree the mixture until smooth (about a minute), and allow it to cool. Serve it over sorbet or fruit, or on toast once it's thickened up a bit in the fridge.







Or, y'know, eat it by the spoonful from the container, if you're me.

Since I have so many strawberries left over, I'm searching for recipes for leftover strawberries. I'm thinking of trying this strawberry cupcake recipe, this strawberry jam recipe, and this strawberry banana muffin recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment