April 01, 2010

Elimination Diet: Thinking about Food Cravings

I'm really, really terrified of pregnancy. It is just so weird to me. Everything about it. I mean, I like the idea of having a baby and spending nine months connecting with it, or whatever, but I have a really hard time dealing with all of the weird pregnancy stuff, like the heightened sense of smell.

Did you know that a pregnant woman doesn't shed hair? And then, once she has the baby, she sheds a lot and grows all of these weird baby hairs? Gross.

There's other creepy stuff that I won't mention here for the sake of decency, but suffice it to say that when I see a pregnant woman, I have a hard time concealing the look of horror on my face. I always want to offer some sort of help or something, but I'm not really sure what that even means or how I could help.

The one thing, on the other hand, that I find totally fascinating about pregnancy is the cravings. Although I know it's ridiculous, I want to know what I'm going to crave when I'm pregnant, and if it'll have anything to do with the personality of the child. If I crave sauerkraut, say, will my child look German (which wouldn't be that much of a stretch, really) and have poor hygiene?

The reason I mention cravings is that I've been experiencing some pretty strange ones on the elimination diet, for everything from orange juice to thai food (especially thai food) to Goldfish to wine (oh, wine) to chocolate chip cookies to tomato sauce.

It's bizarre, but I actually like documenting these cravings (which we have to do for Jackie). And it feels good to have such a healthy approach to food right now that I don't just go out and buy or cook every food I crave. Whereas before, I was sometimes more of a feeder than a diner, I'm finding myself able to think about the food I should eat and do things like stop eating when I'm satisfied, but before I'm full.

That's not to say that my meals are any less satisfying, of course. They're just less mindless.

No comments:

Post a Comment