March 09, 2010

Traveling Foodie in Philly: Village Whiskey

I wasn't a fan of Chef Jose Garces, who won last year's Next Iron Chef competition. He didn't stand out to me the way Jehangir Mehta did, although that was mostly because Mehta had this delicious look on his face every time he was criticized that said "I'm so sorry I have disappointed you. I'm going home to self-flagellate for a while in my secret shrine to The Chairman."

But then my dear friend M, who lives in Philadelphia, took me to Village Whiskey, Garces' teeny-tiny 30-seat burger joint. And I saw the light. Maybe it was the duck-fat fries, maybe it was the pickled heirloom beets, or maybe it was the amazing angus burger with avocado, caramelized onions, and Jasper Hill Cheddar. Whatever it was, this is my new favorite burger place.

Also a must-try: the cocktails. I don't generally like mixed drinks (too high school...is that OK to say?), and I wasn't very excited to order one, but M insisted that these were special and so I had a Ginger Rogers, and then another. It was delicious. It didn't make my mouth hurt with sweetness; it didn't knock me over with booze. It was heaven in a cute, cool, antique-looking glass.

So. Go to Village Whiskey if you're ever in Philly. The staff is friendly, the wait isn't bad if you go before or after peak dinner hours, and the food is just the cat's pajamas. That's right. I said it.

Side note: I've heard tell that Bobby Flay is opening another Bobby's Burger Palace in Philly this Spring, and all I have to say is good luck, dude. Garces owns burgers, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment