May 05, 2010

Wordle is Really Cool

I don't know if you've heard of Wordle yet, but in the education world (or at least in my education world), it's huge. Wordle allows you to copy and paste a block of text or the URL of a website you like, and it generates a word "cloud" based on the site's content. In Wordle clouds, the largest words represent the words that appear most frequently.

I did a Wordle cloud for my site, and it used the last five or so posts to generate a cloud. It makes me happy to see that the most popular words are "recipe," "good food," "artichokes," "eat," and "minutes."

Just thought I'd share this cool site with you, my darling readers. Someone showed me a Wordle cloud earlier this year that had been made out of the text of The Catcher in the Rye, and, predictably, the largest words were "phony," "goddamn," "lousy," and "bastard."

Try it out when you get a chance--my lacrosse team is even making a Wordle cloud T-shirt of our inside jokes and favorite memories from the season. Be advised, though, that it's really easy to get addicted. As in I've been playing on Wordle for about a half an hour now. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment