June 27, 2010

Summer Recipe: Grapefruit Guacamole

Umm, hi.

This is the longest I've ever gone between posts. Incidentally, I managed to stop posting right around the time of the Kittchen's one year anniversary. Kind of a big deal. Would this be when my blog's teeth started growing in? [Thank] God, I know nothing about babies.

Excuses for lack of posts: moving from VA to CT, finding a new job, and planning a wedding in one fourth of the time the average American wedding takes (thanks, Uncle Sam). I'm warning you now, dear readers, that wedding talk will certainly be creeping into my posts from here on out. Especially when it comes to choosing a caterer.

I wanted to share an amazing guacamole recipe with you, courtesy of my friend C. It occurred to me recently that I've mentioned at least three different friends named C throughout the life of this blog, so let me just say that this C is the C who introduced me to frozen watermelon, and should therefore be applauded wherever she goes.

The reason I like this recipe is that it made me like guacamole again. Again, you ask? Yes, again.

When I was some younger age, my father's friends threw a party, and I was the only kid there. Naturally, I did what any foodie-to-be would do, and sat in the kitchen eating all night so that I didn't have to talk to adults I didn't know. I downed nearly a whole bowl of guacamole, and then spent the rest of the night puking it back up in front of a wood stove. I remember the wood stove being a source of comfort in what was otherwise a pretty terrible night.

Since then, I've steered clear of guacamole. I love avocados to an absolutely ridiculous degree, but guacamole freaked me out until C made some grapefruit guac that altered the course of my love affair with avocados. The grapefruit in it balances the intense avocado flavor, and adds a burst of citrus tang that's perrrrrfect for a summer hors d'oeuvres spread.

I'm sharing it as I remember it, which is maybe a little different from C's original recipe.

Holy Grapefruit Guacamole
  • 2 avocados just starting to turn soft (should still resist a little when pressed)
  • 1 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
  • The juice of one lemon or lime, to taste (start with half the juice to be safe)
  • Minced fresh garlic to taste
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional: crushed red pepper flakes to taste
1. Halve and pit your avocados, and scoop the contents of three halves into a mixing bowl. Mash them with a fork until fairly smooth. Dice and scoop out the remaining half, mixing it in with some care to preserve a few good avocado chunks.

2. Break apart the grapefruit sections into bite size pieces, and mix them in, a little at a time, until there's a good balance of grapefruit and avocado chunks.

3. Add lemon or lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper, and the red pepper if you like a little heat in the guac. Smush a bit of the remaining grapefruit to add some of that juice to the mixture. Combine well but gently.

4. Serve immediately with tortilla chips or small toasts. Alternately, you could spread this grapefruit guacamole on a turkey and bacon sandwich and wind up in heaven when you take your first bite.


That's it! And the best part of this recipe is that it's made believers out of other guac-haters. Since the grapefruit moderates the avocado taste, it's a more manageable version than what most people think of when they think of guacamole.

I promise to post more soon, including my Dream Wedding Menu. Since I certainly can't afford to make it happen, I figure I can share it with you guys instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment