November 13, 2010

Dude, Sweet: Caramelized Onion Spread

Our weekend breakfasts change based on what's in the fridge, but two things remain constant: caramelized onions in an egg white omelet. Other omelet-worthy ingredients include kalamata olives, sliced ham, goat cheese, cherry tomatoes, etc., but if you tried to come between T and his caramelized onions, you'd probably lose a hand.

Since onions take a while to caramelize (way longer than the rest of the omelet takes to prepare or cook), I kept toying with the idea of pre-cooking a whole heap of them, and keeping them in the fridge for sandwiches and omelets. I took this idea and ran with it this weekend, puréeing the onions with a little goat cheese and olive oil to make an amazing, sweet and salty spread that works in sandwiches, on toast or crackers, and, of course, in omelets.

Caramelized Onion Spread

Why yes, that is my homemade bread again.
  • 6-7 yellow onions, diced
  • 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided in half
  • 1/4 cup crumbled or creamy goat cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the first two tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.




2. Sauté the onions, along with the salt and pepper, until they're soft and browned (about ten minutes). Stir frequently and adjust the heat if the onions start to burn.


3. Once the onions have turned a nice dark brown color, transfer them to a food processor. Add the goat cheese and purée until the spread reaches your desired consistency. Serve on toast or crackers, in a sandwich, in an omelet, etc.



This spread is so easy to make, and is waaaaay cheaper than anything you could buy in a grocery store. It keeps well in the fridge, and adds a great boost of flavor. It would probably also be great stirred into rice or tossed with pasta, if you're sick of always having tomato sauce.

In other news, I'll be making my first pies from scratch tomorrow. I'm calling it The Pie Practice Party, because I'm a big English nerd and I love alliteration. I know it isn't Thanksgiving yet, but I've never made a pie before (even with a pre-made crust), and baking makes me nervous, and it just feels like a really bad idea to wait until Thanksgiving comes to make anything for the first time. I'll be sure to post the results (good or bad) here.

1 comment:

  1. We used to make big batches of red onion marmalade for paninis when I worked in the kitchen at Savor and it just got better the longer it sat in the fridge. There's a Jamie Oliver recipe for it and we know how much you love him!

    ReplyDelete