December 10, 2010

Yellow Squash and Grape Tomato Gratin

According to my computer dictionary, a gratin simply means "a dish with a light browned crust of breadcrumbs or melted cheese." According to me, it means that when you cover something with cheese and bake it for a while, it will always be magical.

Since I'm currently waging a war against all the unused produce/canned/dry goods in the Kittchen right now, I decided to wing it and mix shredded yellow squash, grape tomatoes, and Valbreso feta cheese together and bake it for a while. God, my instincts are good. Sometimes.

Yellow Squash and Grape Tomato Gratin

  • 1-2 yellow squash, shredded (thanks, Cuisinart, for saving my knuckles!)
  • 1 cup (ish...I just used what I had) grape tomatoes
  • 2-3 Tablespoons crumbled feta (or parmesan, or pecorino, or any cheese (except American...blech))
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine ingredients in an oven-safe dish, and bake in a 400-degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the tomato skins have started to crack. 

2. Set gratin aside to cool for about five minutes, then attack it with a fork and show it who's boss.

This is more of a guideline recipe, because you could really add/substitute anything here. Mushrooms come to mind, as does shredded chicken. But the hearty flavor of the yellow squash, the acidity and sweetness of the tomatoes, and the salty, tangy feta really do beautiful things together. It tastes like they're all holding hands, singing "We Are the World" in my mouth. Which would be weird.

I will clean out my kitchen, no matter how many random gratins I have to make. Apologies in advance for the bizarre concoctions I'll post as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment