March 10, 2013

Brussels Sprouts: Grow Up

Remember being little, and being forced to eat Brussels Sprouts? I doused mine with vinegar. They were terrible. And yet, our parents kept serving them to us.

It took me until I was twenty-five to try them again, and then, all of a sudden, they were amazing. Why did everyone have to steam them? Why couldn't anyone cook them well? I used a Mark Bittman recipe for roasted Brussels Sprouts, and became a Brussels Sprout believer.

So I'm challenging you, readers. If you're still afraid of Brussels Sprouts and they make you feel icky, grow up. Try my recipe for Sautéd Brussels Sprouts, and revel in the delights of well-cooked Brussels Sprouts.

 

Start by washing your Brussels Sprouts, and then cutting them in half. While you're doing this, heat a sauté pan over medium heat.


Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pan, and then put your Brussels Sprout halves in, face down. Do not move them, touch them, or think about them for five full minutes. I'm serious. You'll be happy you did this, as it will keep your sprouts from getting soggy.


After five minutes, flip your Brussels Sprouts over and add a half a cup of white wine to the pan. Allow it to cook down, and then test your Brussels Sprouts by inserting a sharp knife into the middle of one of them. Your knife should slide in with little resistance; if they aren't done yet, add half a cup of water and wait until it cooks off. Test them once more with your knife to be sure they're cooked.


Since Brussels Sprouts are naturally a bit bitter, they pair well with salt and cream. I served mine over brown rice, and added caramelized onions, blue cheese, and a bit of crispy bacon, just to make sure I wasn't being too healthy.

You might think you hate Brussels Sprouts, but, I promise: you just haven't had them cooked well. Go to the grocery store or the farmer's market and buy some (they grow on a stalk!), and give them a try. You'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment