June 24, 2009

Healthier Than Soda: Grapefruit Coolers

Don't get me wrong--I love a good soda. What I hate is that terrible post-soda feeling: syrupy teeth, yucky chemical aftertaste, and hollow stomach. What's more, soda is really unhealthy. I've noticed a high level of soda consumption since moving South, and I have to admit that I'm downright intimidated by my colleagues' ability to down four Cokes a day without keeling over. On a recent extra credit question, I even had a student answer that Virginia's state beverage was Mountain Dew (another claimed it was beer...it's actually milk. Weird, right?)

So I tend to stay away from soda, unless it's an emergency (in the form of writing my thesis) and giving in to sleep is not an option.

A few years ago, I was ecstatic to discover Izze sparkling juices, which are made with natural fruit juices and carbonated water. Fast forward to my first year out of college on a teaching fellow's budget, though, and Izzes are just not affordable. What to do?

In the midst of my Wild Rice Casserole Experiment, with three pots on the stove and the oven at 375, I was desperate for something bubbly and refreshing. I looked around, and discovered an old grapefruit (they last forever!) and a bottle of soda water (which is literally carbonated water...no gross additives). If Izze can do it, I thought, why can't I?

Grapefruit Coolers
  • Sparkling water
  • The juice of one grapefruit
  • Possible substitutions: orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, pomegranate juice, etc.
1. Depending on your flavor preferences fill anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2 of your glass(es) with grapefruit juice.

2. Add sparkling water until glass is full.

3. Try it and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment