October 16, 2009

Herbed Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew Recipe

Originally, I bought a couple of sweet potatoes with the intention of trying out Mark Bittman's take on Sweet Potato Salad. Then the weather started changing, and I decided to adapt.

As you know, I like to cook in bulk. If I can spend an hour cooking something and eat it all week, I'll be a happy camper. I decided to cook my sweet potatoes with some fresh dill and mint I needed to use up, and then added vegetable stock and lentils to make the dish heartier.

The result? Yummy, and fresh-tasting even on day five, since the herbs are so flavorful. Even though I'm still not sure I like the word "herbed," I'll definitely make it again.

Herbed Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew
  • Two sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-ish inch chunks
  • 1 package (16 oz.) lentils, washed and picked over
  • 1 large Vidalia onion, diced
  • 6-8 cups of vegetable broth
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp. of chopped dill
  • 1 tbsp. of chopped mint
  • 1 tsp. of celery salt
  • Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the potatoes, onions, and garlic together in olive oil (or butter, for extra flavor) until the onions are translucent and the potatoes soften up a bit.





2. To the potato and onion mixture, add lentils and vegetable stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat immediately. Stir in the herbs and seasonings, and let the mixture simmer 20-30 minutes, or until lentils and potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.



3. Once the lentils and potatoes are tender, add salt and pepper to taste, then serve and enjoy!






You can add a spoonful of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese, or a cup of rice to this stew to change it up a bit (especially if you're eating it every night for a week!), but the base is deeee-lish on its own, day after day. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment