April 13, 2013

A Burrito in a Bowl

I'll admit it. I love Moe's. And Chipotle. And Qdoba. Pretty much any burrito place.

I'll also admit to being an enormous hypocrite--on my way to the local Moe's, I always take a few seconds to judge the people in the parking lot of McDonald's. Then I pull into the Moe's lot, order a burrito and a big bowl of queso, and stuff my face. All classy-like.

Partly out of shame, and partly out of a desire to stop spending $10 every time I was craving a burrito, I decided to make my own, at home. I ditched the tortilla and decided to make a Burrito in a Bowl, and it. was. good.


The nice thing about this type of dinner is that it's easy, fast, and infinitely variable. I started with brown rice and black beans, and then added cucumber, cheese, salsa, jalapeno, and cilantro, but you could easily add black olives, sweet peppers, sour cream, lettuce, grilled chicken--you get the idea.


If I hadn't run out of cucumber, jalapeno, and cilantro because I kept making myself seconds, I'd be eating another Burrito in a Bowl for dinner tonight.

The next time you're craving a burrito, try making one at home, in a bowl. You'll save money, control the quality of your ingredients, and avoid the problematic drive by McDonald's. Maybe that last part is just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment